We hope you will find this a friendly, informal group and have lots of fun exploring the beautiful Lancashire countryside with us. We focus mainly on easy to moderate level walks ranging from 4-7 miles. Walks are generally led by walking group members, though it is not necessary to lead walks yourself in order to come along. If you are considering joining the walking group it is essential that you make contact by sending a message via the email link on this page before attending your first walk – no contact no walk!
All forthcoming WPVu3a walks are recced beforehand by a walking group member and listed on this page – CLICK ON THE ‘DATES FOR YOUR DIARY’ BELOW FOR DETAILS (next to the green button). Please check this WPVu3a website walking group page and your email before a walk for short notice changes/cancellations. Walk routes may be subject to change on the day, at the discretion of the walk leader.
Things to consider if you are coming on a walk.
- All walkers who participate in this activity do so at their own risk.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the conditions – boots, waterproofs etc.
- Bring your own refreshment/water/first aid/other equipment which you require.
- Walks are often in the countryside where stiles/farm animals/other obstacles may be present.
- Any dogs brought along are the responsibility of their owners.
- General terrain/roads/paths and gradients change during walks and a reasonable level of fitness is required.
- Bear in mind that public toilets may not be available during a walk.
- Bring your WPVu3a card and carry emergency contact details.
- Any walk which is not listed below is not a WPVu3a activity and is not covered for insurance purposes.
By attending a walk you agree to the following.
- Photos of walkers may be taken, these images will be held in the WPVu3a media library and may be published across any of the WPVu3a communication platforms, such as the website, newsletter or social media. If you do not wish to have your photo taken please make this known to the walking group leader.
Dates for your Diary
Winter Hill – 29th January 2024
Thanks to Mike & Kath for taking 13 dedicated walkers on a ‘white out’ ramble in the mist and drizzle to Winter Hill through Woodland Trust managed land and across Smithills Moor. Although completely obscured by cloud the descriptions by Mike of the views of the TV mast, nearby Howrich & Bolton plus the ‘two lads’ cairns were a great substitute! It was good to recall that local Lancashire people were in part responsible for the freedom to roam private land by way of an Act of Parliament in the 1890’s at this very spot making our modern leisure activities entirely possible.
Whittle le Woods, Chorley & Heapey Circular – 12th February 2024
Well done to Doreen who took charge of 23 regulars guiding them along the paths, tracks and lanes in the heart of Lancashire on a very pleasant winter’s morning. It’s wonderful to see the first snowdrops of the season, such a contrast to the winter hibernation.
Hutton to the River Ribble – 26th February 2024.
LEAD A WALK
The walking group diary for the next 12 months is now published in full below and due to the fantastic support of our group, a full schedule of fortnightly walks will continue to be led by members throughout 2024. Although all dates are currently taken further offers to lead a walk would still be much appreciated as occasional cancellations may occur and short notice stand ins will be necessary. If you’re interested get in touch via the email box below.