Information for Riders
Cycle rides are open to current West Pennine Village u3a members.
- Cycle rides are open to current West Pennine Village u3a members.
- The group activities are covered by the u3a Third Party Public Liability Insurance.
- All types of cycles are welcome road, hybrid, tandem, recumbent, mtb and non-standard cycle. E assisted cycles are also welcome as long as they are UK road legal. Whichever cycle you ride it must be in a roadworthy condition.
- Routes will be on public roads and cycle paths and whilst we will endeavour to minimise the use of main or busy roads they cannot always be avoided so riders must be comfortable riding in traffic.
- Riders are recommended to familiarise themselves with the latest Highway Code regulations for cycling which have been recently updated.
- All routes will be pre-ridden by the leader to check for hazards , roadworks, closures/diversions etc
- The rides will be on a variety of terrain and will be outlined in the calendar post so please read the description to check any given ride is for you.
- Rides will be cancelled in the event of adverse weather conditions snow, ice, fog gales etc
- A cycling helmet should be worn on all rides
- You are recommended to carry a bike lock for cafe stops and cash or card.
- As a minimum a spare inner tube, tyre levers and a pump should also be carried.
- Dress appropriately for the weather conditions of the day.
- If you have personal health problems that could affect your cycling please consider making the leader aware and bring medication that you may need.
- Our road surfaces are not in great condition at the best of times so be vigilant, watch out for any potholes and any other obstacles and call these out to the group. Keep a good lookout for each other at all times
- Pace will be nice and steady and no-one will be left behind. There will be a designated back marker for each ride.