The member code of conduct classifies the standard of behaviour expected from each u3a member.
Member Code of Conduct
- Members are expected to know, follow and promote the Principles of the u3a Movement at every opportunity
- Members must always act in the best interests of West Pennine Villages u3a and the u3a Movement, strive to uphold its reputation and never do anything which could bring their own, another u3a or the u3a Movement into disrepute or expose it to undue risk.
- Members are expected to use West Pennine Villages u3a resources responsibly and only to further its stated charitable objectives/purposes.
- Members are expected to reflect the current organisational policy of West Pennine Villages u3a, regardless of whether it conflicts with their personal views.
- Members are expected to abide by West Pennine Villages u3a’s procedures and practices.
- Members are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect at all times.
The Principles of the U3A Movement
The u3a movement is non-religious and non-political and has three main principles:
THE THIRD AGE PRINCIPLE
- Membership of a u3a is open to all in their third age, which is defined not by a particular age but by a period in life in which full time employment has ceased.
- Members promote the values of lifelong learning and the positive attributes of belonging to a u3a.
- Members should do all they can to ensure that people wanting to join a u3a can do so.
THE SELF-HELP LEARNING PRINCIPLE
- Members form interest groups covering as wide a range of topics and activities as they desire; by the members, for the members.
- No qualifications are sought or offered. Learning is for its own sake, with enjoyment being the prime motive, not qualifications or awards.
- There is no distinction between the learners and the teachers; they are all u3a members.
THE MUTUAL AID PRINCIPLE
- Each u3a is a mutual aid organisation, operationally independent but a member of The Third Age Trust, which requires adherence to the guiding principles of the u3a movement.
- No payments are made to members for services rendered to any u3a.
- Each u3a is self-funded with membership subscriptions and costs kept as low as possible.
- Outside financial assistance should only be sought if it does not imperil the integrity of the u3a movement.
Code of Conduct adopted on 22/11/2022
Signed Chair of West Pennine Villages u3a
|Date of review
|Date of next review