Welcome and apologies
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.
- Croquet hoops Art stool purchase- The purchase of stools for the Drawing Group is complete. The purchase of croquet hoops is pending.
- Progress with local sources for funding – pursuing this was not thought necessary.
- Correx boards – The meeting was informed of the designs and the imminent delivery.
- Committee photos – These are now complete.
- Publicity list -This is almost up to date. Leaflets were issued for the GP Practice nurses to have available. A committee member undertook to deliver these.
A previous suggestion regarding a YouTube video is to be further researched.
- Alternative venues-Details were given of charges and availability of two additional venues.
A larger room at one venue will be researched by the Chair, along with the availability of audio-visual equipment [in order for it to be suitable e.g. for Speaker events].
It was suggested to pursue the Inspire Youth Zone Friday slot -free of charge for the Friday session.
Resolved to ask the membership for further suggestions via the Newsletter.
- New volunteers- An appeal had been included in the Newsletter, but no responses were received.
It was resolved to repeat the request, with particular reference to a role in welcoming new members [especially at Speaker Meetings].
- Member communication following survey – This has been communicated via the Newsletter.
- Financial Report (Document circulated)- There was nothing further to add-the financial situation is as it should be at this time.
- Speaker Secretary Report [document circulated] – Approval was needed for a recently arranged August Meeting and this was given.
A September break was approved.
A range of other speakers were also approved for the Autumn [including a Christmas Quiz] . The treasurer offered to clarify the donation/fee situation with the Speaker secretary.
Possible speakers for 2024/5 were offered and there were no objections. Two in particular were commented on positively.
It was clarified that a newsletter item had requested ideas for speakers/topics from the wider membership, but this had yet to be included in the Speaker Secretary’s monthly email.
An offer from Lancashire Volunteer Trust for a closer relationship with wpvu3a including involvement with Social Prescribing was thought unnecessary. Alternatively, LVT should contact CBC Social Prescribing direct. However, there was no objection to encouraging u3a members to volunteer on an individual basis.
The issue of charity donation v. fee was raised.
- WPVU3a use of Inspire facilities on Fridays and Inspire Invites general update- The first meeting was not successful with very low attendance. This was thought to be as a result of poor marketing on the part of Inspire. The current situation was outlined, including the start of community football.
The idea of wpvu3a providing an activity under the umbrella of music was explored with a view to confirming for September. Various concerns were expressed on the practicalities of members volunteering for a regular Friday slot. Ideally this should be a new activity such as Walking Netball.
An appeal is to go out in the newsletter for ideas.
An additional concern was raised with regard to Insurance Cover, since u3a members would mix with other participants. After further discussion, the Treasurer undertook to contact the u3a Northwest trustee to clarify this position.
The two-way benefit of our involvement was strongly emphasised.
- UCLAN Partnership further opportunities-The Partnership has enjoyed a very successful beginning with the Psychology Speaker Meeting which is to be followed by further well supported sessions in August. There is now a further possibility in a professor from UCLAN who would like to talk to u3a and seek volunteers for research to test and trial EVOFIT developments. This will be followed up in September.
A further contact from Edge Hill University was suggested as a possibility.
It was proposed that events such as this should take a different form from the usual Speaker Meetings. The idea was approved in principle.
- Update on the u3a members survey and resulting action plan- Those present were informed of the exact wording of the action plan and it was concluded that most of these had been or are being actioned.
Some issues of accessibility were further discussed with particular ref. to the road access. Members are reminded that they can request a closer parking space.
- A communication regarding Gift Aid has resulted in 6 new people registering.
- Succession planning- are we considering next roles? – this reminder was issued.
- There was a request to reconsider fee arrangements for those joining in June and July. Resolved to put this on the agenda of the next AGM.
- The Treasurer informed those present of an online meeting for Treasurers should anyone wish to participate. There was a request for further information on recorded versions of this.
Date of next meeting- Wed 9th August