Welcome and apologies
The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.
- Purchase of Croquet Equipment– this is in hand.
- Correx Boards– assessment- there have been many positive comments and more have been ordered.
- Committee photos – though these are on the website, those present were informed that these could be changed and also of the availability of a web page for each committee member-to be used if desired.
It was also thought desirable to have role descriptions on there.
It was thought that an initial common draft was needed.
- Health centre leaflets– the meeting was informed that positive comments have been received from health centre staff on wpvu3a. It was resolved to keep supplies of these leaflets topped up in all locations used.
- YouTube update – this was now thought not to be necessary.
- Alternative venue update – In response to notes in the Speaker report the Brinscall venue large room [which has Wi-Fi/ AV] would hopefully be used for the November talk involving NW Blood Bikes.
- New volunteers – After a repeat request there has still been no response. A quotation from National U3A Facebook page Fit for the Future was suggested as a good model -“Everyone in u3a should be an involved member – not a customer being served.” -Dr Eric Midwinter- one of the founders of u3a in Great Britain. This was approved of and the suggestion made that it should be included on the website, in the newsletter and on general display in WFSSC.
- Donations v fees– confirmation of our guidelines on this have been communicated to the Speaker Secretary and will be emphasised again, although it was thought that the position was now clearer.
- Inspire update – see main business.
- Psychology session update and any further links. – The psychology sessions have been very well received, illustrating a need for topics that are more intellectual. Since no fee has been requested, it was suggested that a ‘Thank you’ gift be offered.
Suggestions re. further sessions of a similar type linking with universities were repeated.
- Financial Report (Documents circulated)-There was nothing further to add and these were approved.
- Card Readers[document circulated] -Based on the willingness to use BACS payment etc., the use of a card reader is unlikely to cause a problem.
At present large amounts of cash are being handled multiple times and the use of a card reader should reduce this, save time and effort, increase security and act as future proofing.
On the negative side-this could be slower with large numbers of attendees etc.
Resolved to research further after agreement in principle. This would not exclude the use of cash, however and the practicalities of accepting a mixture of cash and contactless were discussed.
- Speaker Secretary Report (circulated)- The committee approved the March April June 2024 Speakers and the fee for the March speaker. It was confirmed that there should be a voluntary donation bucket or a £50 fee which the speaker can use as a donation.
- Membership update and July membership decision– membership stands at 206. The fees were confirmed as £20 for new members with £18 for joint and £15 and £13 for renewals.
It was pointed out that for security a password is requested now, which may cause problems for some members.
It was resolved to include a warning in the renewal reminder and to offer the option of BACS payment where a difficulty is encountered.
It was also resolved to make July 1st the date from which new members could join without paying again in Sept .
After discussion it was resolved to print the membership cards-these to be distributed through groups where possible.
- Group info and calendar updates – Group information and calendar information needs updating in some cases.
- U3A Week 2023 and Autumn Al fresco –
There will be ‘Thankyou’ meeting with opportunities to try some activities at 11am on 20th September- possibly catered externally. The invitation will be extended to friends and potential new members and will ask for approximate numbers attending.
This is to be publicised in an email and in the Newsletter and will be organised by an informal subcommittee.
- WPVU3a use of Inspire facilities on Fridays and Inspire Invites general update – Owing to no responses re. activities at the venue this is no longer an option.
Although Inspire insurance covers all events that happen there, there was still some disquiet at the implications for wpvu3a activities taking place there-if the event is open to the public the u3a insurance does not apply [ this after consultation with u3a NW].
It was resolved to look further into involving music groups on a voluntary basis [NB. not as a committee decision].
After a vote the majority agreed that – In principle wpvu3a is supporting the venture provided support is given by individual groups/ members.
- Update on Succession Planning – Some committee members have agreed on the next role with a few still to fill.
The Chair offered to clarify the position with NW u3a.
- Web Page change has happened because it is easier to maintain.
- Access to older newsletters has been requested as been useful for prospectives – it is possible to put in an archive.
Resolved to add this to the next agenda. Date and time of next meeting- 27th Sept 2023