Welcome and apologies
Minutes of the previous meeting with amendments – were approved with a further slight amendment.
- Update re croquet grants applied for. -The Sport England application has been declined. Thanks were offered to the Accessibility Officer for her support in this. There are other avenues to explore for this.
A request for a further funding for a set of Croquet hoops was approved.
It was further resolved to research more local sources for funding.
- Progress with Correx boards– Decisions were requested on the format of the lettering on the boards.
Resolved that the lettering should be white on blue, with a vertical rather than a horizontal arrangement.
It was also thought that any further embellishment such as arrows would restrict flexibility of use – these could be affixed temporarily.
A further sign for parking was requested and approved.
- Committee photos still to be done– There are still two to be done.
- Publicity posters- A request has been made for leaflets and these were provided. There was a request that leaflets be provided for the GP practice nurses. Further posters were distributed for posting in Brinscall.
The Secretary undertook to compile a list if members would provide the locations they had been responsible for.
- Inspire – update on transport for outlying villages – A document on this had been circulated. This is not currently viable owing mainly to cost .
- Update on alternative venues -this was limited owing to the lack of response from venues approached and the limited accessibility of other venues. Further approaches to be made.
- AGM feedback – any possible committee volunteers? – The AGM was thought to be very successful with a good attendance. There have been no volunteers forthcoming so far. It was thought useful to request helpers rather than committee members.
10) Update on new equipment purchased– Pickleball equipment is purchased but stools for the Drawing group are still to be purchased.
- Treasurers Report (Documents circulated)-Gift aid has been received. It was resolved to research the relationship between those declaring for gift aid originally and current members. It is currently not possible to use “change of details” on the website to declare for gift aid after joining – the membership secretary will contact the web-editor to see if this can be made possible. It can only currently be done by emailing the membership secretary direct. A previous newsletter appeal to encourage gift aid has been made but a direct email to those who have not declared can be made now by the membership secretary.
Changes made to the accounts layout for clarity were explained and this and the budget set were approved.
An attempt has been made to submit report to the Charity Commission but it is not yet due.
- Speaker Secretary Report (circulated)-
2 remaining speakers were approved and re-approved.
The issue of no meetings in August and September was discussed. Resolved to leave for this year and reconsider for next year-possible close just for 1 month in future.
A change from the well-established Wednesday slot for Speaker Meetings was thought not advisable.
It was suggested that an appeal to members for suggestions for speakers and speaker topics – a way of involving members . This was thought to be a good idea and will be passed on to the Speaker Secretary.
There was a request for some text for the newsletter on the last speaker and a committee member undertook to provide this.
- Progress on external links (Documents circulated):-
Thanks were offered to JW for all the work undertaken on these.
- U3A survey and improvements plan – Although the majority of the 25% of members who responded to the survey were happy with their experience, several themes emerged from comments and the following actions agreed after detailed discussion:-
- update publicity to emphasise our ‘welcoming, friendly and inclusive’ approach in all we offer.
- use additional forms of communication to keep everyone up to date e.g. WhatsApp Groups, emails , word of mouth.
- Make information on Social activities more widely available where this is possible.
- Encourage new members to come to a Drop In session where they will be shown our website and how to navigate it (if necessary)
- Send new members an email welcoming them to our u3a
- With the new member’s permission – welcome them via the newsletter.
- Try to use ‘known as’ names in our communication with members rather than a formal first name where necessary.
- Actively look at other venues for our speaker meetings and some of our interest groups.
- Try to have a nominated person to talk to
- Encourage Group Convenors to chat to a new member after their first session to get any feedback.
- Provide a waiting list for Groups that are presently full so that if places become available they can be offered to those on the list.
- Ask all members to suggest topics for the speaker talks.
- Need to follow up offers of help.
Monitoring -We will regularly review all the above.
Aa communication to members on the survey will be formulated.
There was an offer to investigate the possibilities of a You-Tube video re navigating the web-site etc.
- Inspire Invites ( Document circulated) –
Good progress reported.
The opening is now scheduled for 26th May. PR information has been provided for wpvu3a use.
Committee was asked to consider how best to help, how to promote to members. Some activities have already been offered by this u3a, although all may not in the end be available.
It was thought a good idea to ask members what activities they would like to see and participate in that are not currently available.
This would be a stepping stone to involvement with outside groups such as wpvu3a.
- . WPVU3A/ Withnell Fold SC clarification– in response to a member request the relationship between wpvu3a and WFSSC was clarified.
There is no financial link but equipment is loaned in both directions where necessary e.g. tennis and croquet.
- Request for Water heater for WFSSC kitchen- It was thought that this was too expensive for a once a month use.
Date and time of next meeting-26th June