1. Document purpose
To outline the role and responsibilities of a Secretary, sometimes referred to as a Business Secretary.
2. Role summary
- To support the Chair in ensuring the smooth running of the board of Trustees (the committee).
- To take overall responsibility for the day to day administration of the u3a.
- To deal with all correspondence and the circulation of information.
- To ensure meetings are effectively organised and minuted.
- To maintain effective records.
- To act as an information and reference point for all members of the committee.
3. Main responsibilities
3.1. Organisation of meetings
- To receive agenda items from committee members.
- To liaise with the chair to compile committee meeting agendas and agree supporting paperwork and to circulate with the draft minutes in good time.
- To ensure a quorum is present at each committee meeting.
- To ensure the minutes of the previous committee meeting are approved.
- To ensure any queries/comments/complaints from members are considered by the committee.
- To produce the AGM agenda and supporting paperwork in consultation with the committee for circulation to the members.
- To help to organise the AGM checking the meeting is quorate before commencing and that all stipulated procedures are adhered to.
- To take minutes at business meetings.
- To organise meetings.
3.2. General administration
- To stay up to date with information, policy and procedural changes and legislative requirements as advised by u3a Office.
- To disseminate any mailings or information from u3a Office to the committee – as required.
- To liaise with trustees to complete and return administrative documents from u3a Office and from the charity regulatory authorities, if applicable.
- To notify u3a Office of all relevant changes on the committee.
- To maintain a file of accident reports.
- To renew the CLA licence, if required.
- To contact u3a Office with insurance queries or potential claims.
- To assist the Chair with the production of the annual report for the AGM.
- To respond to incoming correspondence, consulting with the committee where necessary.
- To write letters on behalf of the u3a as directed by the committee.
- To keep a log of all incoming and outgoing correspondence for committee perusal.
3.4. Maintenance of records
- To act as the custodian of the u3a’s constitution and the relevant policies and procedures.
- To develop an efficient and secure system for storing u3a information.
- To maintain an archive of important documents e.g. AGM minutes, annual reports, past committee meeting minutes – as agreed.
3.5. Dissemination of information
- To receive mailings from the u3a Office and to communicate the information to the members of the committee and u3a members as appropriate.
- To make approved committee meeting minutes available to any u3a member who requests them and/or make them available via the u3a website.
3.6. On completion
- To carry out a comprehensive handover to the new Secretary.